Had some beet greens that I had to use. 4 bundles. Cooked 1 for dinner - that left me with 3 to preserve.
So I decided to ferment them.
I cook the stems, so I decided to experiment with fermenting them as well. It's the bright, happy jar to the left.
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
more salt if needed to make brine
I was able to shove all the beets into one wide mouth quart size jar.
Waited 2 hours to see what the natural brine would do, then because it wasn't enough I made more brine with 1 tablespoon of salt to 1 quart of water. Didn't use all of it, just covered them, leaving 1 inch of head space. Folded a cabbage leaf and to use as a weight. I found that I need something to hold things under the brine and the cabbage leaf works well.
Waited 10 more long days. Could have started checking at 7, but I figure the stems might needed a bit longer.